For Budget Conscious Buyers
The Singer 7442 sewing machine is a value-priced electronic sewing machine suitable for occasional sewing, light alterations or as a first sewing machine.
Like other electronic sewing machines, this one is simple to set up and operate, with push button controls and non-complicated features.
However, don’t be fooled by how easy it is to use the Singer 7442. You’ll find quite a few features and functions that will keep a beginning sewer happy as they become more experienced.
Ever have trouble getting your zippers to look just right? If you work hard on a project, you want every detail to look good–including the zipper. This video course will help you master the techniques of sewing zippers. Now you’ll never have to be ashamed of your zipper sewing again! Sign up for this FREE video course on zippers now…
There is a nice assortment of utility and basic decorative stitches, a one-step buttonholer, a needle-threader and five snap-on presser feet.
Singer 7442 Features
Because of its simplicity, you will be sewing on the Singer 7442 sewing machine, minutes after removing it from the box. And even an entry level sewer, will only have a small learning curve!
Here are some of its features:
- 30 Stitch patterns including utility, stretch, and decorative stitches – It even has quilting stitches like stippling, crown and domino.
- 2 different styles of one-step automatic buttonholes – many economy priced machines have four step buttonholes.
- Drop-in bobbin – no more struggling to insert a side-load bobbin!
- Clear bobbin cover – so you can see what’s going on in the bobbin area.
- Automatic needle threader
- Automatic thread tension – if you’ve ever struggled to get the tension set just right, you’ll know how nice this feature is…
- Automatic stitch setting
- Automatic needle-up feature – when you stop the machine, the needle stops in the “up” position. This reduces your chances for jams and thread breakage.
With these features, you should be able to make clothing, do some quilting, and make curtains, pillows or other home décor.
The machine weighs 20 pounds, making it semi-portable and perfect for a teen, college student or for someone who travels and likes to take their sewing machine with them.
Buying plus size clothing that fits well and is comfortable and is flattering can be a challenge. The good news is that this Plus Size video course will show you how to make clothing that flatters you and is stylish. The instructor, Barbara Deckert, is a skilled custom dressmaker and a large woman herself. Barbara teaches this video course with humor and compassion, and she’ll help you dress fashionably and with greater confidence. Sign up now for this excellent video course on making plus size clothing…
How Others Rate the Singer 7442
Reviewers of this sewing machine either love it or hate it. It almost seems as if they were reporting experiences with two different machines! While I don’t believe that that is the case, it does seem that some Singer 7442s must have slipped through quality control with a few problems:
- Reviewers note that the machine’s top drop-in bobbin system is not the same as Singer sewing’s trademarked Drop & Sew ™ bobbin system. While top drop-in bobbins are easier than the old-fashioned side-loading bobbins, this isn’t the same as the fuss-free feature of the Drop & Sew ™ found in higher-end Singer sewing machines.My reaction to this is that, if you want a higher end feature like the Drop & Sew ™, you need to be prepared to pay for the higher end machine. You get what you pay for.
- Sticky foot pedal – If your machine has this issue, it is hard to control the speed. This would be a problem for a beginner.
- Plastic parts – This is an economy priced machine, with some plastic parts. It doesn’t sew like the good old all-metal-parts sewing machines that many of us grew up with.
In spite of the above, most reviewers love this machine. But if you are considering buying one, you should keep the points above in mind.
The Singer 7442 is a good choice for the budget-conscious sewer who sews occasionally, for the beginner or for someone who takes their machine with them to classes, college or when travelling.
The Singer 7442 electronic sewing machine is available at Amazon.
These models would also be suitable as a first sewing machine: